Each week, Animal Patrons Australia collect and distribute essential supplies to animals affected by disaster. Below is the current list of goods required, as requested by sanctuaries, shelters and carers.
Rescue and Rehabilitation Supplies – Week 6, 2020
Any item from our wish list will greatly assist the efforts being made to the animal carers we are assisting:
General Supplies – available from most supermarkets and pet stores
- Fruit baby food squeeze packs
- Puppy pads
- Plastic rio baskets
- Eucalyptus Wool Wash – towels and bedding are washed in eucalyptus to avoid irritants to the animals
- Betadine liquid – for wound treatment
- Paw paw ointment
- Garbage bags
- Chick starter/crumble (also termed duck starter/crumble) – for ducklings. Various brands can be purchased at most pet shops and supermarkets
- Bird seed (Lorikeet nectar powder mix, wild bird mix, small bird mix, Parrot mix). Good quality brands can be purchased at pet shops and supermarkets
- Parrot and other bird hand rearing formula. Various types and brands can be purchased at most pet shops
- Rabbit/guinea pig mix or pellets – used for herbivorous animals
Specialised Supplies – available from most pet stores and wildlife feed suppliers
- F10 Veterinary disinfectant
- Troy calcium supplements
- Wombaroo milk replacements (marsupial/bats)
- Wombaroo mix (birds/bats)
- Wombaroo bird first aid
- Impact Colostrum supplement
- Vetwrap/other cohesive bandages
- Solosite wound gel or other wound gels
- Vetafarm Crittacare Herbivore
- Mitavite Economix pellets or kangaroo pellets <<
- Oxbow critical care
- Vetafarm spark fluids
- Biolac Formulas
- Hartmanns Fluids
- Heating pads (www.warmapet.com.au)
- Animal feeding bottles and teats
Specialised Supplies – Medical
- Syringes (1 to 60mL), 2/3mL syringes required
- Surgical scissors
- Prima tape
- Jelonet dressing
- Flamazine burn cream
How we distribute donated goods
On same day of receipt, all goods are sorted, counted and catalogued into our stock database. At any one time we have an accurate stocktake of all goods held in our Distribution Centre.
Distribution by request
Animal carers may contact our Sanctuary Co-ordinator to directly request goods. Upon receipt of a request, we pack the order from stock holdings and arrange transport via our volunteer network, or established distribution network. Carers also have the option to collect supplies directly from us.
If we are unable to supply requested goods, we will endeavour to source those items via our extended network. We also note these for future supply lists.
Distribution by direct support
Our team is constantly monitoring news items, chat groups, social media and other sources for requests of support. Once we have identified a carer we can support, our Sanctuary Co-ordinator will reach out to arrange supply of required items.
Where to deliver your donated goods
We have taken possession of our new Distribution Centre, which is very exciting news! While we’re in the process of making final arrangements to occupancy and workplace compliance, we’ll be be open for limited hours.
Very soon, our Distribution Centre will be open for deliveries and pick-ups most days.
In Person Deliveries
Animal Patrons Australia, 443 Swan Street, Richmond, Victoria
WEDNESDAY 5 FEB: 10am – 1pm
SATURDAY 8 FEB: 9am – 11am
Or via post to Karan White, PO Box 3064, Auburn, Victoria, 3123.
The bush fire crisis has had a devastating impact on animals and their habitats. Your donation – no matter how big or small – will make a difference in assisting carers in disaster zones.
Image used with permission from Jo-Anne McArthur / We Animals Media.