Each week, Animal Patrons Australia collect and distribute essential supplies to animals affected by disaster. Below is the current list of goods required, as requested by sanctuaries, shelters and carers.
Rescue and Rehabilitation Supplies – Week 5, 2020
Any item from our wish list will greatly assist the efforts being made to the animal carers we are assisting:
General Supplies – available from most supermarkets and pet stores
- Eucalyptus Wool Wash – towels and bedding are washed in eucalyptus to avoid irritants to the animals.
- Tissues – please avoid super soft, medium soft are perfect.
- Unscented baby wipes.
- Hand sanitiser – for hygiene purposes. Aquim, Purell and Dettol brands are recommended brands.
- Antibacterial wipes – for hygiene and cleaning purposes. Eucalyptus or Pine scented only.
- Disinfectant – for hygiene and cleaning purposes. Eucalyptus or Pine scented only, please.
- Cable Ties – for securing branches and other cage furniture. All sizes needed, black or clear preferred.
- Betadine liquid – for wound treatment.
- Paw paw ointment.
- Garbage bags.
- Chick starter/crumble (also termed duck starter/crumble) – for ducklings. Various brands can be purchased at most pet shops and supermarkets.
- Bird seed (Lorikeet nectar powder mix, wild bird mix, small bird mix, Parrot mix). Good quality brands can be purchased at pet shops and supermarkets.
- Parrot and other bird hand rearing formula. Various types and brands can be purchased at most pet shops.
- Rabbit/guinea pig mix or pellets – used for herbivorous animals.
Specialised Supplies – available from most pet stores and wildlife feed suppliers
- Wombaroo Insectivore Mix
- Passwell Complete Lorikeet Mix
- Garden worms
- Wombaroo Grainivore Mix
- Wombaroo Insect Booster
- Wombaroo Reptile supplement
- Wombaroo Carnivore mixture
- Wombaroo Flying Fox milk replacement formula
- Wombaroo Wombat milk replacer <0.4, 0.4, >0.6
- Passwell Parrot soft food
- Wombaroo High Protein Supplement
- Biolac M100 possum milk formula
- Divetelac low lactose milk formula
- Wombaroo <0.8 & >0.8 Possum milk replacer
- Wombaroo <0.4, 0.4, 0.6, >0.7 Kangaroo milk replacer
- Almonds and seeds, trail mix
- Vetafarm Blossum Nectar
- Vetafarm Reptile supplement
- Vetafarm Lizard food
- Wombaroo Impact Colostrum Supplement
How we distribute donated goods
On same day of receipt, all goods are sorted, counted and catalogued into our stock database. At any one time we have an accurate stocktake of all goods held in our Distribution Centre.
Distribution by request
Animal carers may contact our Sanctuary Co-ordinator to directly request goods. Upon receipt of a request, we pack the order from stock holdings and arrange transport via our volunteer network, or established distribution network. Carers also have the option to collect supplies directly from us.
If we are unable to supply requested goods, we will endeavour to source those items via our extended network. We also note these for future supply lists.
Distribution by direct support
Our team is constantly monitoring news items, chat groups, social media and other sources for requests of support. Once we have identified a carer we can support, our Sanctuary Co-ordinator will reach out to arrange supply of required items.
Where to deliver your donated goods
We are currently securing premises for our Distribution Centre, which we hope will be operational in the next 2 – 3 weeks.
The following locations can receive donated goods in the interim:
In Person and Postal Deliveries
Animal Patrons Australia, c/- 15 Pearson Street, Cremore, VIC, 3121 (WEDNESDAYS only: 10am – 4pm)*
Karan White, PO Box 3064, Auburn, Victoria, 3123.
*We hope to have our new Distribution Centre open in the next couple of weeks, until then in-person deliveries are restricted to our temporary warehouse facility.
The bush fire crisis has had a devastating impact on animals and their habitats. Your donation – no matter how big or small – will make a difference in assisting carers in disaster zones.
Image used with permission from Jo-Anne McArthur / We Animals Media.